DWC Celebrating 30 years (1987-2017)




Recent Meeting Programs

**The opinions expressed on this page are those of the presenter(s) and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Durham Woodworking Club or its members.

Show and Tell Items for the meetings are located in the Members Gallery Section, please check it out as projects are added regularly.

FOR PREVIOUS WEEKLY MEETING NOTES, PLEASE CLICK HERE

July 5th, 2017

Topic: Last Meeting of the Season

Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Cherry Rolling Pin
Dale Coolidge - Deck Nail Puller
Wayne Schroder - Mosaic Tray


May 29th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Sorry for being a bit late with this update. We had a great meeting this past Monday night, Peter Lauricella did not disappoint, his latest version of an engineered bowl was amazing.  Peter has promised to hold a class in the fall to demonstrate a hands on class, it should be good.  Our webmaster hopes to be caught up in a couple of weeks, for those that missed it, Peter’s demonstration will be on our YouTube site shortly.  Thanks again Peter!!

This coming Monday is our last regular club meeting of the season, we’ll be taking a break over the summer.  Please note that the shop will be open during the summer, I’ve posted the revised shop hours on the club calendar

For the last meeting, David Lawrence will be selling and holding a raffle for an assortment of his plants, below are the details.  I’ll be away for the last meeting, have fun, have a safe summer, see you all in the fall.

 

Show and Tell:

Rob Peros - Maple Bowl, Walnut Bowl one and Walnut Bowl two
Kade Bolger - Live Edge Pine Burl Bowl, Spalted Maple/Cherry Finial Music Box and Spalted Maple/Walnut Finial Music Box



May 15th, 2017

Topic: Sense of Calm Naturals
Great meeting tonight, we had a great guest speaker, Steve Grenier from Sense of Calm Naturals talk about bees wax and the various methods of using a wax finish with woodworking projects.  I’ll have our web master post the PowerPoint presentation on our club web site.  Steve has web site, www.senseofcalm.ca, I would encourage everyone to visit web page and browse the site, a lot of good information tonight.  Steve’s email address is steve@senseofcalm.ca and his phone number is 905-259-0499 if you would like to speak with him directly.

A special thank you to David Lawrence for bringing in his Dahlia plants to sell to the club members tonight, we still have three Dahlia plants to sell as well, if you look back at my previous email, on June 5th, David will be selling a number of other plants.  All of the proceeds go directly to the club, please come to the June 5th meeting to purchase a plant and support the club.

A couple of quick notes,

May 18th – Woodworking 101 course starts, course is full for this secession.
May 22nd – Victoria Day, club will be closed, meeting cancelled.
May 29th – Peter Lauricella will be demonstrating his turnings.
May 30th – Dave Fletcher will be hosting a “how to” seminar showing how to make a Longworth chuck, I’ve attached the plans.  If you’re interested in attending, please send me an email, start time 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, there will be specific details involved with this demo and I’ll be sending out a separate email in advance of the date.
June 3rd – Rick Sullivan will be hosting a chip carving class, if you’re interested, please let me know.
June 5th – Last meeting before the summer break

Show and Tell:

Rob Peros - Maple Bowl and Hollowform Bowl
Chris Lapine - Lidded Box one and Lidded Box 2
Kade Bolger - Live Edge Bowl and Credit Card Holders
Doug Smith - Walnut Wigstand
Don McFarland - Racoon Bird House


May 8th, 2017

Topic: Freud Presentation

Great meeting last night, we were fortunate to have Luciano Iaboni & Marco Di llio from Freud Canada present their product line to the members, there was a lot of great information presented on table saw blades, router bit and a number of their new products, for my money the best presentation of the year.  The presentation was captured by our AV team, Wayne should have it posted to our YouTube channel for everyone to view.  There are extra Freud catalogues at the club, if you’re interested in obtaining one, I’ve placed them on the shelf in the library.
If you didn’t make it out to the meeting and you have questions about saw blades and router bits, I would definitely recommend viewing the meeting on YouTube.  As well, for the next two week, if you are looking to purchase a FREUD saw blade or router bit, Freud have arranged to give all DWC members a $10 discount when your purchase their product at Peacock, just mention that you are a member of the DWC, show your membership card and tell them Luciano Iaboni sent you (seriously)!  As well, Freud brought t-shirts for everyone, if you didn’t get on, come see me on Monday night, I’ll also have XL with me to hand out.

David Lawrence has been actively preparing for summer by growing an assortment of plants, this coming Monday night David will bring the Dahlia plants to the club, which he will sell and donate all of the money to the club, which is awesome!  The price for the Dahlia plants will be $15 per plant, compared to the larger retail grow houses, David’s price is a bargain, if you’re thinking about summer plants, please support the sale.  David will be holding a follow up sale on June 5th selling Begonias, Black-Eyed Susan and his Mallard-in-the-marsh plants, images of the Dahlia are below.

Inline imageInline image Inline image Inline image

A couple of follow up notes,

May 15th – Sense of Calm Naturals (Wax) will be demonstrating and selling pure wax, this will be another good demo, plan to attend.
May 18th – Woodworking 101 course starts, course is full for this secession.
May 22nd – Victoria Day, club will be closed, meeting cancelled.
May 29th – Peter Lauricella will be demonstrating his turnings.
May 30th – Dave Fletcher will be hosting a “how to” seminar showing how to make a Longworth chuck, I’ve attached the plans.  If you’re interested in attending, please send me an email, start time 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, there will be specific details involved with this demo and I’ll be sending out a separate email in advance of the date.
June 3rd – Rick Sullivan will be hosting a chip carving class, if you’re interested, please let me know.
June 5th – Last meeting before the summer break

Ron Whitbread will be tuning up the table saw on Thursday May 18th, the table saw will not be available the morning (9:00am – 1:00pm)  of the 18th, please plan to work around the saw down time.  As well, we have a club member who would appreciate assistance from an experienced member on using the thickness planer and the jointer, if you can help out, please let me know and I’ll get you in touch with the member.

Show and Tell:

Yairn Stern- Mandolin
Dave Roberts - Segmented Bowl Rim Maple and Walnut



May 1st, 2017

Topic: Beall Buffing System
Great meeting last night, special thanks to Chris Lapine for his demonstration on the Beal buffing system.  Our web master should have the demo up on our YouTube channel in a couple of weeks.  We also spent a couple of minutes discussing alternative methods of sharpening an Ellsworth bowl gouge, attached is a PDF file with a bit more information (thanks to Denis for the PDF file).

Peter Lauricella will be displaying his work at Scugog Studio Tour, site #3, at the Utica Memory Hall on Goodwood Rd on Saturday and Sunday from 10:00am to 5:00pm.   There is no admission to view the studio tour, for further information visit the Scugog Studio Tour web site,  www.scugogstudiotour.ca

The club calendar has been updated, there are a number of events coming up, please check the web site if you’re interested in any of the upcoming events.  Below is a quick recap,

May 8th – Representative from Freud will be at the club for a demo, we’re going to be discussing router bits and table saw blades, plan to come early, I’m sure seating will be at a premium.
May 9th – Don MacLean will be hosting a router seminar (demo) from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the club, if you’re interested in attending, please let me know.  If you have already sent an email, you will be confirmed.
May 15th – Sense of Calm Naturals (Wax) will be demonstrating and selling pure wax, this will be another good demo, plan to attend.
May 22nd – Victoria Day, club will be closed, meeting cancelled.
May 29th – Peter Lauricella will be demonstrating his turnings.
May 30th – Dave Fletcher will be hosting a “how to” seminar showing how to make a Longworth chuck, I’ve attached the plans.  If you’re interested in attending, please send me an email, start time 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, there will be specific details involved with this demo and I’ll be sending out a separate email in advance of the date.
June 3rd – Rick Sullivan will be hosting a chip carving class, if you’re interested, please let me know.
June 5th – Last meeting before the summer break

Ron Whitbread will be tuning up the table saw on Monday May 15th, the table saw will not be available the morning of the 15th, please plan to work around the saw down time.  As well, we have a club member who would appreciate assistance from an experienced member on using the thickness planer and the jointer, if you can help out, please let me know and I’ll get you in touch with the member.

Show and Tell:

Don Gaudet - Scrollsawn Native American and Horses
Rob Peros - Cherry Bowl, Maple Bowl1, Maple Bowl2, Maple Bowl3, Maple Bowl4


April 24th, 2017

Topic: Finishes
Fun and informative meeting last night, although our guest speaker was not able to attend, Denis did a great presentation on a wide assortment of wood finishes.  Great questions from the membership, which opened up an opportunity for an upcoming presentation from Chris Lapine on the Beal buffing system.  It seems quite fitting that after all the questions on finishes, how to effectively use the Beal buffing system is a natural, so for the next meeting, we’ll be showing how to use the Beal system to get a great finish for your bowls and pens and various other turned projects.

Laura Vaillancourt, Executive Director for the Ontario Philharmonic spoke to the membership regarding the Durham Region Mayors’ Gala and the Random Acts of Music | Teddy Bear Series. 

Laura’s group are looking for donations from our membership to supply the silent auction to raise funds for their Random Acts of Music | Teddy Bear Program.  As a group, the membership were very engaged, so it was decided that we would pool and collect our individual donations on behalf of the club by the end of July, the event will be running on September 15th and Laura’s team will require time to prepare for the evening.  If you’re interested in donating a project, such as a turned bowl, pen, scrolled plaque, or any other project, please let me know and we’ll add your name to the list.  Also included the image that shows details of the Mozart concert, April 29th, at UOIT’s Regent Theatre.  Tickets are available at ontariophil.ca or 905-721-3399 x2.
ONP013-OntPhil_Mozart-SocialMedia_2048x1080_FNL-HIRES

A couple of follow up notes,

  • * Last call for woodworking 101 course, I have three people signed up, we’ll be starting the last course shortly, if you’re interested, please email me.
  • * The last club meeting for the season before the summer break will be June 5th, summer club hours will be posted on the calendar.
  • Busy Bee will be holding their annual garage sale, I’ve attached the details, there are a few deals to be had.
  • * We’ll be holding a router class in the month on May, if you’re interested, please email me, I’ll firm up the date next week.
  • * Dave Fletcher will be leading a group build to make a Longworth chuck, it will take place on a Thursday evening, if you’re interested, please email me.
  • * Just a reminder, Freud tools will be holding a demo on May 8th, we’ll be talking about router bits and saw blades, it should be a great night, plan to attend.
  • * Rick Sullivan reminded the membership that lottery dues are required no later than May 15th, $20 payment through to September.As well, Rick will be holding a chip carving class, if you’re interested, please let me know and I’ll add your name to the list.

    * Wayne Pye found a great local resource for pure wax, the company is called Sense of Calm Naturals (www.senseofcalm.ca), I’ve attached the gentlemen’s card with his contact information.  I’m working on having Steve come into the club for a presentation, as well as, to sell his product before and after a club meeting. 

    * I also forgot to mention that Roy Coe’s daughter has a King table saw for sale, if anyone is interested, please give Roy a call, his contact information is available on the club web site.  Roy will have the particulars of the saw and the asking price.

Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Butternut Bowl with Inlay
Dave Fletcher - Barbecue Scrapers
Don Gaudet - Scrollsaw Butterfly
Kade Bolger - Ash Music Boxes (one and two) and Phone Speaker (Amplifier)
Mike Kellar - Spalted Maple Bowl
Wayne Pye - Cheeseboards (one and two)
William Spekkens - Toy Tow Truck


April 10th, 2017

Topic: Tips and Jigs
Good meeting on Monday night, although there was no guest speaker, we took time for “tips & jigs” and we reviewed a number of social media sites to find woodworking “tips & jigs”.  The top sites that we reviewed included Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube, Lumberjocks & the Canadian Woodworking Magazine forum, I have included links for each site below.  For those that may not be aware, we have a DWC Facebook page, which is locked, so you’ll need to request joining our page, as well as, we a YouTube channel that members can go and view past guest speakers and demos.  Thanks to Wayne Whitehead and the many volunteers that help keep our various pages up & running.

Please note, if you want to use any social media site but your worried about receiving a ton of unwanted email notifications or you don’t want the world to see everything you’re doing, you can protect yourself through the settings tab for each of the social media sights.

Last week we had a great presentation from the abrasive company SIA, for those that wish to purchase their products, Jeff from SIA has spoken to Peacock lumber and they have agreed to carry the SIA abrasives.  I’m in the process of coordinating with Peacock to see which of the products their going to carry, as soon as I have confirmation, I’ll post a note to everyone.

Scott Lee found a great knife sharpening person in Oshawa, Pro Sharpening, I’ve attached the gentlemen’s card, if you’re interested, I would suggest that you give him a call directly.  As well, I found a great place to pick up pipes & supplies in Whitby, the company is call Howell Pipe & Supply, card is also attached.

As well, I received confirmation today that Freud tools will be coming to the club for a presentation on Freud router bits, table saw blades and abrasives.  I’m just in the process or coordinating the date, it will definitely be within the next four weeks, I’m very excited to have the team from Freud come by the shop and meet everyone.  I would strongly suggest that if you have any questions on router bits or table saw blades, that you come to the meeting.

  • The shop will be closed for Good Friday and Easter Monday, the club will be reopen on April 18th.
  • We have a guest speaking coming on April 24th to review adhesives, be sure to attend.
  • If anyone is interested in taking the woodworking 101 course, please let me know.
  • Rick Sullivan will be hosting a chip carving class either on April 29th or June 23rd, he’ll confirm the date.

Social media sights
www.facebook.com
www.pinterest.com
www.youtube.com
https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum
http://lumberjocks.com/

Show and Tell:

Andrew Davis - Box Elder Fairy House, Turned Ornament and Wigstand
Chris Lapine - Spalted Sugar Maple Bowl
Mike Kellar - Knife Handle

April 3rd, 2017

Topic: General Meeting
Great meeting last night, our guest speakers from Sia Abrasives  http://www.siajjs.com (Brett Stachel & Jeff Braun) had a wonderful presentation on abrasives and sandpaper, they brought a good cross section of their unique products and the highlight of the night was their showing of the Kovax line of abrasives.

We had a full house, all of the members enjoyed sampling the various abrasives and the questions were fantastic, it was a great discussion.  If you received a sample last night, please bring your feedback to the next meeting, I know that Brett & Jeff would like to hear your comments.  The entire Sia presentation will be up on our YouTube channel in the next couple of week, keep checking.

Another highlight from last night’s meeting came at the end of the night during our show and tell segment, Dave Fletcher presented his Longworth Chuck “Cole Jaws” that he made from plans downloaded from the internet.  Dave did an amazing job, the feedback was very positive, Dave was kind to forward the PDF file with the plans for everyone to view, I’ve attached them to this email.  You should see the actual image on the club web site shortly.

As well, Don McFarland has a great sign “Beer time” that he did on the scroll saw, Don passed along the web address, it’s also attached, you can click the link and go right to the web page http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/free-pattern

Next week, we’ll be showing “tips & jigs”, please bring in your personal jigs that you use in your own shop, it’s always a good way to learn something new.  As well, we’re going to spend time surfing the web, Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook looking for tips & jigs, if you have a personal web site that you visit, please let me know before Monday’s meetings or mention it during our web surfing discussion.

Show and Tell:

Alan Coolidge - Cutting Boards (one and two) and Segmented Bowl
Dave Roberts - Walnut Bowl
Don McFarland - Scrollsawn Sign
Doug Ricketts - Bowl and Winged Bowl
Ed Campbell - Costume Hanger for Lynde House (one and two)
Kade Bolger - Playing Card Holder and Ring Holders (one and two)
Kris Lapine - Biscuit Cutters


March 27th, 2017

Topic: 1st Annual Pen Swap

For some members this may be the first email that you may have received from me, I’ve update the club email list for all new members and those who may have had a recent email change.  The goal of this email is to recap the last Monday night meeting and to keep everyone informed of any upcoming events.  I do my best to get emails out the night of or the following night depending on my schedule.

This past Monday we had a great meeting, thirteen members took part in a pen swap where members made pens, which were exchanged with other club members.  It was a fun event, a lot of great pens were made and given away, both novice and experienced pen makers participated.  We’ll have another pen swap in the fall, it will be posted on the club web site.  Also, don’t forget to visit the club web page to view all of the great “show and tell”, images are updated weekly.

Upcoming events

  • 2017 Kawartha Carving Competition will take place on September 9th in Bobcaygeon, for additional details visit their web page www.kawarthacarvingcompetiton.org.
  • We have a guest speaker schedule for April 3rd, the presentation will be on abrasives, specifically sandpaper and the various new products out in the market, it will be a great discussion.  Thanks to Wayne Massey for passing along the information.
  • We’ll also have a guest speaker on April 24th, a manufacturer rep will come to the club and present their line of glues, it should be a good discussion.
  • If you’re interested in learning how to use a router, we’re looking to hold a class or seminar in the future, please email me if you’d like to participate.
Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Live Edge Bowl
Ed Campbell - Bird House
Kade Bolger - Hollowed Vessels (one, two, three and four)
Rodney Peddle - Dish and Platter


March 20th, 2017

Topic: 30th Anniversary of Durham Woodworking Club




March 13th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting
We had a good meeting this past Monday night, we watched a great video from Wood magazine on how to cut dovetails using a standard jig, we’ll have it posted to the clubs web page shortly.  Denis did a segment regarding various glues outlining the benefits and features.

We also have a new router and router table at the club, if anyone has any questions on how to properly use the router or would like a tutorial, please email me and I’ll set up a time.  As well, we received a generous donation from a neighbour of Andy Valliere of router bits for very specific uses, these new bits will be in locked  storage, if you would like to use them, you’ll need to sign them out with a deposit.

The week previous, Chris Lapine did a great presentation on hollow turning, the digital clip should be on our YouTube site by the end of the week.  Chris prepared a PowerPoint presentation, if any would like a copy, please email me directly.

Just a couple of housekeeping notes below for the upcoming week.

  • - Monday March 20th will be the club’s 30th Anniversary, we will be having cake & coffee, as well as, we’ll have special guests in attendance, everyone is welcome.
  • - A shop cleanup is scheduled for this coming Saturday March 18th, start time is 9:00am, if you’re interested in helping out, please feel free to drop in.
  • - The club will be closed on Monday March 20th, in preparation for the anniversary event.
  • - The Baldwin Carving club will be holding their annual show at the Whitby Haydenshore Pavilion, start time is 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, admission is free.
Show and Tell:

Dave Fletcher - Step Stool
Mike Kellar - Router Bit Holder
Otto Ference - Bird House
Wayne Hutcheson - Scrollsawn Pickup Truck


March 6th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

Bob Kitchen - Scrollsawn Watermill
Chris Lapine - Sugar Maple Bowl
Ed Campbell - Wig Stand for Child
Kade bolger - Laminated Birch Cup and Ash Mulberry Lidded Bowl and Black Walnut Bowl
Neil Fickling - Chestnut Bowl, Wigstand 1 and Wigstand 2
Shari Frost - Bowl
Wayne Pye - Sugar Maple Bowl


February 27th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

Andy Valliere- Multi-Color Pen
Bernie Visor - Vase, Goblet and Lidded Box
Chris Lapine - Easter Egg(s)
Doug Smith - Spalted Birch Bowl
Kade Bolger - Juniper Mini Bowl, Purple Heart Mini Bowl and Red Oak Mini Bowl
Wayne Hutcheson - Bald Mans Comb
William Spekkens - Tulips


February 20th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Bowl
Neil Fickling - Wigstand


February 13th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

William Melnychuk - Wig Stand
Shari Frost - Bowl 1, Bowl 2 and Step Stool
Don McFarland - Valentine Card (Scroll Saw)
Calvin Perry - Valentine Tea Light and Toy Cars
Chris LaPine - Bowl
Neil Fickling - Maple Lidded Bowl – lid converts to Candy Dish
Otto Ferenc - 642 Game (Oak)
Mike Keller - Hand Made Tools
Kade Bolger - Catalpa large Live Edge/End Grain Bowl and Honey Locus large Bowl


February 6th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

Dave Roberts - Spalted Curly Maple Bowl
Duncan Vipond - Beech Winged Bowl
Peter Bell - Library Book Exchange
Wayne Schroder - Scrollsawn Tulips


January 30th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

We had a great meeting this past Monday night, we viewed a YouTube clip on how to turn a soda can pen.  It was very interesting, I’ve attached the link if you want to view it at home,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMd5p-sLn68.   There were a number of great show & tell items, you can view them on the club web site. 

We reviewed a couple of articles from the latest Woodwsmith magazine, I’ve attached them for your interest.  As well, I’ve attached the clubs guidelines for using the library, please take a minute to review. 

A couple of notes to mention, 

1.     Membership for 2017 is due by February 14th, if you’re not paid by then, you will not be able to use the club facilities or participate in the club meetings until your paid up.

2.     Kade will be hosting a live edge bowl demonstration on Saturday February 18th, starting at 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, if you’re interested, please let Kade know.

3.     Next shop clean up Saturday February 25th@ 10:00 am, volunteers are welcome.

4.     The pen swap is under way, we’ll be swapping pen on Monday March 6th, if you have any questions, please ask Denis or Don McFarland.

5.     The Hamilton woodworking show is upcoming, I’ve attached the link to the web site if you’re interested in attending.  http://woodshows.com/ 

Show and Tell:

Dave Fletcher - Turned Bowl and Blub Planting Tool and Ring Holder
Denis Lalonde - Wigstand
Don McFarland - Hockey Ribbon Rack
Doug Smith - Beech Bowl
Kade Bolger - Ireland Black Thorn Cane
Michel Bellerose - Wigstand
Mike Kellar - Lidded Box
Wayne Pye - Drill Press Table
Wayne Schroder - Baseball Bat Rack


January 23rd, 2017

Topic: General Meeting


Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Birch Bowl
Duncan Vipond - Segmented Bowl
Kade Bolger - Lidded Box and Tagua Nut Minatures
Mike Kellar - Live Edge Bowl
Morgan Dever - Wigstand
Peter Lauricella - Segmented Bowl
Rob Peros - Spalted Maple Bowl
William Spekkens - Step Stool


January 16th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting


Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Turned Cherry Platter
Denis Lalonde- Wigstand
Kade Bolger - Turned Butternut Bowl and Turned Platter
William Spekkens - Toy Truck Carrier and Wigstand


January 9th, 2017

Topic: General Meeting

Good meeting last night, no speaker, just lots going on.  We did watch a YouTube video on how to apply CA on a pen as a finish coat, I’ve attached a link for the video so you can watch from home if you missed it.   The YouTube channel that this clip was found is on RJB Wood Turner, you can also check out Steve French.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwuPq71fYA&list=PL2q8_d7EICrSf5mVQzsFSvBAcWuJ__XuE 

Upcoming events, 

1.     Woodworking 101 starts this Thursday night, everyone in the group have received an email tonight, if you received the email, you’re on the list.

2.     Our friends at Woodchuckers will be at the club next Monday night January 16, Marc will be reviewing a new finish and they will be selling product at the club, I would suggest that you come early.

3.     I sent a note out last week regarding the DIY showcase, it will take place on Family Day, February 20th.  If you’re interested in displaying any antique tools, please let me know, we’re also going to have the shop open and a few members will be working on a few pieces of equipment to show any guests our club, maybe get a few new members.

4.     Peter Lauricella will be demonstrating his “crazy bowl” design on January 23rd, should be a good presentation.

5.     Any interested in joining the pen swap, please get back to me via email, I’ll have all the details next week.
If anyone has any questions or would like to recommend topics of discussion for our regular club meetings, please let me know.

 


January 2nd, 2017

Topic: DIY Showcase

Welcome back fellow wood clubbers to a new year!!

We had a great meeting last night, we had a brief speaker last night Glen McKnight who discussed the upcoming DIY Showcase which will be held in the church auditorium on February 20th (Family day).  This showcase will bring together a number of key elements such as drones, ham radio, woodworking, computers & victory garden.  The showcase starts at 10:00 am and runs through to 4:00 pm.  I’ve attached a copy of the brouchure, it sounds like an interesting event, let me know if you have any questions.

  1. Pen Swap – we’d like to run a pen swap to coincide with our donation to the Pens for Peacekeepers program. Each member who participates in the swap will turn a pen (details will be provided at the next meeting), and in return each member will receive one pen made by another member. If you’re interested in participating, please let me know via email.
  2. We’re in the process of finalizing the 2017 paid membership file, all membership dues are to be paid by the first business meeting in February (February 6th), we have 94 paid members. If you plan to stay with the club, please pay your membership due, if you do not plan to return, please send me a quick email so that I can take your name off the list. Any questions, please let me know.
  3. The club web site will be updated shortly, our web master has been busy with the Christmas holiday season, as well as, moving his family into a new home, congrats Wayne!
  4. Woodworking 101 will begin January 12th @ 6:00 pm sharp, the class secession is full, I will send out a separate email shortly to the next grouping of students.
  5. It came to the attention of the membership that the planner was moved from the shop to one of the smaller rooms, please note that under no circumstance is the equipment to be moved from the shop floor by any member, any violation will result in disciplinary action, if you need me to explain further, please email or call.
  6. The club has arranged a deal with Fleetwood Sharpening, a local sharpening service that provides quality work to sharpen your saw blades, planner blades & router bits. The cost to sharpen a saw blade will be $0.35 per tooth (example, 24 tooth blade x $0.35 = $8.40 per blade), the cost to sharpen a planner blade will be $0.65 per inch (example, 12” planner blade x $0.65 = $7.80 per blade), router bits will be estimated prior to work being done, due to the speciality nature of the sharpening. All blades and bits will be dropped off Denis Lalonde’s home (797 Eastbourne Ave, Harmony & King Street) or brought to the club during the Monday meetings, please ensure that your name is on the blade that you are handing in to be sharpened. The expected turnaround time will be one week, cash only and no tax will be applied. If you have any questions, please let me know.
  7. A paid opportunity was brought forward by the Oshawa Senior Citizens Center, they are in need of a woodcarving instructor to teach two classes per week one on Tuesdays (12:45 pm – 2:45 pm) for 11 weeks starting January 10th and one class on Thursdays (8:15 am – 10:15 am) for 12 weeks, starting on January 12th. If you’re interested please let me know, payment is $23.00 per hour.
  8. One of our members is looking to purchase a Oneway strong hold chuck, if you have one that your thinking of selling, please let me know.
  9. Lastly, I had an enquiry from the web, a couple would like a rustic bedframe and headboard built for their king bed, if you’re interested in a paid opportunity, please let me know.
Show and Tell:

Pat Mawhinney - Wigstand
Wayne Hutchinson - Pepper Mills, Scrollsaw Rooster, Gag Item Quarter Pounder
Rob Peros - Segmented Bowl, Personalized Christmas Ornament, Bowl
Doug Ricketts - Wig Stands


December 19th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:



December 12th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

Arthur Wilins - Wigstand
Mike Kellar - Wigstand
Calvin Perry - Personalized Christmas Ornament
Roy Coe - Bowl
William Spekkens - Candle Holders
Kade Bolger - Harry Potter Wand, Small Storage Boxes, Telescope Box holder

 

December 5th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:

Michelle Bellrose - Peanut Dispenser
Kade Bolger - Corian Plate, End Grain Rough Edge Bowl, Wigstand
Chris Lapine - Christmas Ornament
Ed Campbell - Birdhouse
Calvin Perry - Personalized Childs Stool ( 1 and 2)
Rodney Peddle - Cherry Bowl
Mike Kellar - End Table
Andy Valliere - Wigstand
Wayne Hutchinson - Wigstand


November 28th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:



November 21st, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Great meeting this past Monday night, not any one specific topic, just a good well round meeting about woodworking!

I’ve attached PDF copies of the articles that I had up on the monitors talking about the disc sander, tackling angles and tips & techniques.  I thought that they were interesting for the group, if anyone comes across any articles that would be useful for the group, send me an email or speak to me at one of the meetings, it’s always good to pass along interesting material.
Please see the articles here: Disc Sander, Tackling Angles and Tips & Techniques

A special thank you to Peter Lauricella for the seminar he conducted on the weekend, showing the group, how to make a scalloped edge bowl.  The feedback from the group was very positive, I’m looking forward to seeing the finished bowls from the group that attended.  If anyone would like the instructions on how to make a scalloped edge bowl, let me know and I’ll send over a copy.

As well, Peter has graciously offered to conduct five additional bowl making seminars, below are the tentative outlines for the course dates.  I’ve attached images of the bowls that Peter will be teaching.

  • January – How to make a “crazy bowl”
  • February – How to make a bowl with a wavy line or two
  • March – How to make a bulbous bowl with interlocking rings
  • April – How to make a bowl with vertical scallops
  • May – How to make a bowl with several wandering through inlays

Upcoming events

  • Club cleanup this Saturday November 26th @ 10:00 am, if you can make it, we would appreciate the assistance
  • This coming Monday night, Kade will be speaking about his trip to Ireland this past summer, should be a good presentation
  • Kade’s seminar on how to turn a crotch bowl will take place on December 3rd, I need to get back to everyone to ensure that the church is available, they may have a separate event
  • Woodworking 101 is full, I’ll confirm the dates with the participants
  • Don is looking for more wig stands, don’t forget we have a draw on December 12th, every wig stand handed in gets a ballot
  • Don McFarland will be holding a scroll saw show and tell on Tuesday December 6th @ 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm

Denis has pen kits and blanks for the “Pens for Peacekeepers” program, we’re looking for volunteers to turn pens

Here is Calvin giving a presentation at the Seniors Club (not sure what he is presenting???)


Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Peace Pipe and Platter
William Spekkens - Wigstand
Peter Lauricelli - Samples of Scalloped Bowls (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)


November 14th, 2016

Topic: Peter Lauricella - Scalloped Edge Bowl

Great meeting tonight, thanks to Peter Lauricella for his demonstration on how to make a scalloped edge bowl.  Peter will be hosting a seminar this coming Saturday November 19th @ 10:00 am.  As pre work for the seminar, Peter will be at the club this coming Thursday night from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm to instruct participants on how to make the necessary jig for the scalloped edge bowls.  If you’re interested in attending the seminar this Saturday and the jig making secession this Thursday, please respond via email.  There are currently three people attending the seminar.  Peter has also provided a set of instructions for making the scalloped bowls, I’ve attached a PDF copy for everyone.

As well, Don McFarland presented his latest scroll saw work tonight, two ornaments, images will be available on the club web site.  I’ve also scanned the two patterns if anyone would like to try them at home.

A couple of follow up points

  • Woodworking 101 course sign up, if you’re interested, please respond via email.  I will confirm the start date shortly, it will be three to four Thursday nights in a row, either before the Christmas break or just after.
  • Shop clean-up, we’re going to hold a shop clean up on Saturday November 26th @ 10:00 am, if you can volunteer, please respond via email.  It usually takes a couple of hours at the most.
  • Volunteers needed to help install drapes in the shop to help control the dust from the equipment, if you can help, please respond via email.
  • Kade will be holding a seminar on Saturday December 3rd at the club on how to turn a “crotch” bowl, if you interested, please respond via email.
Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Medieval Weapon, Spalted Birch Bowl

Chris Lapine - Salad Tongs
Don McFarland - Scrolled Weave Basket
Wayne Schroder - Tape Dispenser
Denis Lalonde - Wigstand
Doug Ricketts - Wigstand

November 7th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Great meeting tonight, thanks to Kade for his presentation from his recent trip to Ireland.  Kade spent time learning and upgrading his turning skills from a couple of great teachers.  Kade’s presentation is a bit lengthy to forward, I’ll have portions posted to the club web site shortly.

A couple of follow up notes,

  1. Learning to turn a crotch end grain bowl seminar will be this Saturday at the club, start time will be 10:00 am, Kade will be demonstrating.
  2. We’re looking for volunteers to help with the woodworking 101 course, which will start in January 2017.
  3. The early bird draw deadline for membership renewals is this coming Monday December 5th, if you pay your renewal fee by the 5th, you’ll be entered in a draw to win your membership fee.
  4. Don McFarland discussed the pattern ornament book which he showed tonight can be downloaded at http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/ornaments-for-charity.html
  5. Also, if anyone is interested in purchasing kits to make end grain cutting boards, please email me donmcfarland@rogers.com.  The proposed cost is $25 for maple/walnut, $25 for maple/African and $30 for maple/purpleheart.  Each person will get enough wood to do the cutting board that is described at http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/.
  6. Don’t forget about the “wig stand for cancer patents”, we have a contest for participating members who donate a wig stand, please see attached.
  7. Our last club meeting for 2016 will be held on Monday December 12th, we’ll have a guest speaking coming in to close out the year.


Don McFarland also talked about scrollsawn Chritsmas Ornaments and Steve Good, who is a scroll saw pattern design.
You can see Don's presentation here.  

Show and Tell:


October 31st, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

General discussion and a safety video on the Chop Saw / Mitre Saw. You can view the video here

Show and Tell:

Wayne Hutchinson - Mantle Clock
Wayne Schroder - Yo-Yo
Neil Fickling - WigStand


October 24th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

General discussion and a safety video on the Chop Saw / Mitre Saw. You can view the video here

Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Turned Xmas Birdhouse
Kade Bolger - Minature Turnings and Turned Goblets


October 17th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

We’re back in business for a new session and we have lots of great things planned for the fall and winter meetings.  This past Monday, we were fortunate to have Ken Lorenz demonstrate how to turn a peppermill.  Ken proved to be a great speaker, as well as, a fantastic turner, Ken’s demonstration will be posted on the club web page in the coming weeks.  I’ve attached a PDF copy of Ken’s plans for his peppermills, we’ll also post on the web site.  On a side note, Ken recommended a specific mechanism for his peppermills, we have the source in China and we’re looking to possibly place an order, the minimum order quantity is 300 pieces.  Shortly, I’ll forward the cost of each mechanism to see how many we can order as a group.

Side notes

  1. We have a web request from a gentleman living in Belleville, who would like someone to turn a copy of an original post for his porch.  This would be a paying opportunity, if you’re interested, please send me an email and I’ll provide additional details.
  2. If anyone has a Rigid shop vac, similar to the models at the club (image attached), could you please email me, we need a photo of your shop vac for an assignment.
  3. We have a new member who would like to dispose of a couple of steel tool stands, if you’re interested, please email me and I’ll forward the information, first come first serve.
  4. The club calendar will be updated with dates for Don McFarland’s scroll classes, please be sure to check the web site.

If anyone has any questions or request, be sure to email me. 

Show and Tell:

 

October 3rd, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Show and Tell:


Peter Lauricella - Cheese Board, Bowl1 and Bowl2
Neil Fickling - Bowl1 and Bowl2
Chris Lapine - Bracelet


September 26th, 2016

Topic: Peppermill Turning Demonstration - Ken Lorenz

Ken Lorenz was in the shop to demonstrate how to turn a Peppermill. Ken has provided a copy of his peppermill plans.
You can view the video presentation here

Show and Tell:


September 12th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

First meeting of the new season

Show and Tell:

Andy Valliere - Wigstand1, Wigstand2 and Wigstand3
Chris Lapine - Barbecue Cleaner
Kade Bolger - Baby Mobile
Mike Kellar - Turned Bowl
Steve Hutcheon - Winnie the Pooh Step Stool



May 30th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Great meeting last night, although things didn’t go as planned, we had a great presentation from David Lawrence on flower gardening.  David is a great resource for those that may have questions regarding flower growth and planting, thanks David for your presentation. 

As well, we’re going to have a day set aside in the near future where club members can purchase perennials grown by David Lawrence, we discussed last night that this would be a great deal for the members and all of the money raised will go back to the club, so if you’re thinking of purchasing any flowers in the near future, please wait and pick them up from the club.

The RZ masks were dropped off last night, I have three orders with me, I will contact the individuals directly via email to arrange pick up.

I received an inquiry last night from one of the club members regarding the restoration of vintage equipment, I personally thing that this would be a great sub-group to have at the club as a resource, somewhere where members who may have purchased vintage equipment that would like to restore the equipment back to useable condition, if you’re interested, please let me know.

A couple of follow up notes from last night’s meeting for those not in attendance,

  1. The club will now break for the summer, regular club meetings will be postponed until September, but the shop will be open Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (unless otherwise posted).
  2. The church parking lot will be off limits on June 6th, the church has a function and requires use of the parking lot, if you’re going to be in the shop that day, please park on the street.
  3. Shop clean up this coming Saturday June 4th @ 10:00 am, all volunteers are welcome to help clean the club.
  4. The club will not be open Tuesday night during the summer months, the Tuesday night open woodworking night will be postponed until further notice.
  5. I’ll be at the club this Wednesday  night for the usual turning night, from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.  After this Wednesday, turning nights will also be postponed for the summer.
  6. Attached are the plans for the fold up step stool that Don McFarland presented last night, in case someone would like to make one as well, Don did a great job, images are on the web site.

I’d like to thank everyone who has assisted with the club this season, personally, I think that we’ve had a terrific season and it would not have happened without everyone’s participation and assistance.  If throughout the summer, someone has an idea for a club topic for a Monday night meeting or an idea for a build, please feel free to send me an email, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Have a great & safe summer, will see everyone in September.

Show and Tell:

John Gibbons - Peppermill
Don McFarland - Folding Step Stool

May 16th, 2016

Topic: WebbWood Demonstration

Our guest speaker, Ben Maloy from Webb Wood Inc. discussed their product line to the membership.  WebbWood™ is a highly engineered wood/plastic composite which has unique physical and mechanical properties. Dyed hardwood veneers are combined with engineering grade resins, heat, and pressure to create a product that has the best characteristics of each.  WebbWood™ is distinguished by its unique strength, durability, dimensional stability, weather and moisture resistance as compared to regular wood.  Ben will follow up with a few samples to share at the next meeting and we’ll also work on opportunities to purchase his products in the near future.
Please see Bens Presentation here...

Thank you to Gord Tilly, great demo on how to replace brushes in your power tools, great questions from the membership.  I look forward to more of these types of open discussions.

A couple of notes,

  1. Unfortunately Denis was a bit under the weather tonight and not able attend, we all wish Denis a speedy recovery and hope to see him back at the club for the last meeting of the season.
  2. Tom Loftus will have the club open Wednesday night for open turning while Denis is away, I would also invite any of our experienced turners to stop by and lend a hand, please email me if your available.
  3. The club will be closed this coming Monday May 23rd, due to the Victoria Day long weekend, please don’t show up planning to use the club!
  4. Our last club meeting will be Monday May 30th, then we’ll break for the summer.
  5. Club clean up, Saturday June 4th, at 10:00 am, volunteer will be required.
  6. RZ mask re-orders, if you are interested in ordering an RZ mask, Ulrik will be offering members the same deal as before, I’ll be sending out a link at the end of the week, pick will be at the May 30th meeting.
  7. Sarah Wintel from the City of Oshawa has offered members to participate in their Cultured Square Program to be held every Thursday night in July and August from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm at the Oshawa Civic Square, outside Oshawa City Hall @ 50 Centre Street, South.  They are looking for groups to provide interactive booths where residents can see “art in action” and potentially try it out, similar to a demo.  This would be a good opportunity for the club to provide a woodworking demonstration, if individuals are interested, please send me an email.
Show and Tell:

Don McFarland - Wigstand
Donna Panthere - Wigstand
Duncan Vipond - Chain Design Segmented Bowl
Ed Campbell - Seam Rippers
John Gibbons - Finial Box
John Horner - Wigstand
Kade Bolger - Bowl and Live Edge Bowl
Mike Kellar - Table Saw Blade Cabinet
William Spekkens - Candle Holder

May 9th, 2016

Topic: Titebond Demonstration

Great meeting tonight, Robert He from Titebond visited the club for a demo on their entire line of adhesive products.  A number of great questions from the membership, I think that everyone was pleased with the discussion.  Robert left a few samples behind, we’ll raffle them off at the next meeting along with the 50/50 draw. Please see Roberts presentation here...

A couple of notes from the meeting,

  • Sarah Wintel from the City of Oshawa has offered members to participate in their Cultured Square Program to be held every Thursday night in July and August from 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm at the Oshawa Civic Square, outside Oshawa City Hall @ 50 Centre Street, South.  They are looking for groups to provide interactive booths where residents can see “art in action” and potentially try it out, similar to a demo.  This would be a good opportunity for the club to provide a woodworking demonstration, if individuals are interested, please send me an email.
  • If someone would like a piano (free of charge), an Oshawa resident is looking to part with it, you would be responsible to remove it from the home, if you’re interested, I have an image, please send me an email, first come, first serve.
  • Rick will be hosting part two of the chip carving course, layout and design, this Thursday from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
  • Next Monday, we’ll have a demo from a new company called Webb Wood, it will be a show and tell of their engineered laminated hardwood, check out their web site www.webbwood.com.
  • We have several opportunities for equipment sales, please see below,

Seller #1

  • Rockwell Beaver 36” gap bed lathe with stand and some accessories - $200
  • Rockwell Beaver 10” tilting arbor saw with stand & some accessories - $300
  • General 6” jointer with stand - $400

Seller #2

  • General 6” jointer – price to be confirmed
  • Sears 10” table saw with router on the wing – price to be confirmed
  • Ryobi 8” planner – price to be confirmed
One other quick note, please be mindful of the parking restrictions during the day, we only have five passes, which must be displayed in your vehicle.  If the passes are not available, please park on the street, no exceptions. 

Show and Tell:

John Gibbons - Lidded Vessel and Maple Burl
Chris Lapine - Ntural Edge Turned Bowl
Yair Stern - Mandola Stringed Instrument



May 2nd, 2016

Topic: Sharpeing Chisels
Great meeting last night, special thanks to Dale Coolidge for his presentation on sharpening hand chisels, the presentation can be found on our You Tube channel.

A couple of housekeeping notes,

  1. Titebond will be demonstrating their products on Monday May 9th, should be a good night to talk about adhesives.
  2. Denis has one spot for the next round of Turning 101, please email or call Denis directly (905) 728-0787.
  3. New member orientation will be cancelled until further notice.
  4. Ron Witbread will be cleaning and tuning up the table saw on Tuesday May 10th from 9:00 am to noon, please note that the table saw will be out of service for that morning, please plan your trip to the club accordingly.
  5. Rick Sullivan will be holding a chip carving layout and design course on Thursday May 12th from 6:30 pm to 8: 30 pm, if you’re interested, please let me know or call Rick directly.
  6. We will have another club purchase of the RZ mask, you can place order the week of May 16th to 21st, I’ll send out a reminder email next week with the details.
Show and Tell:

Sam Bodor - Segmented Bowl
Kade Bolger - Lidded Bowls and Pen Stand
Scott Lee- Scrolled University Plaque
Scott Tunney - Cookbook Holder
Maurice Roy - Wigstand


April 25th, 2016

Topic: Tips and Jigs
Great meeting tonight, tips and jigs was fun, but we need more member participation the next time.  We ran a clip from Colin Knecht at Woodworkweb.com on how to straighten lumber without the use of a jointer, but only with a thickness planer.  I’ve attached the link, courtesy of Mike Kellar, http://goo.gl/OTRT9w.

All of the RZ masks were delivered this evening, feedback was positive from the members.  I’ve reached out to the rep to see if he’ll run another buying deal for the club in mid-May, if you’re interested, please keep an eye out for my emails in the future.  For those not at the meeting tonight, we had three masks go missing from the club without notification, which were to be used as test fitting.  If you have taken a mask without permission or notification, please be prepared to pay the club $40 (plus tax) at the next Monday meeting.  If the three members do not come forward, I will utilize the club surveillance system to determine who they are, and should they not want to reimburse the club, they will be asked to leave the club membership.

A couple of notes,

  1. David Lawrence will be holding part two of the Word/Excel training course, demonstrating how to use basic Microsoft software to prepare and layout your future projects.  Course starts at 10:00 am through to noon, if you would like a refresh on part one, please arrive for 9:00 am.  Please note, the church will be holding an event during the day, do not park in the church parking lot, park on the street.
  2. Woodworking 101, last class tomorrow night, Chris Lapine will demonstrate how to straighten warped wood, should be another great demonstration from Chris.
  3. Turning 101 is booked, there are no additional spaces, first class May 7th @ 9:00 am.
  4. Dale Coolrige will be demonstrating how to sharpen hand chisels at the next meeting, should be a good demonstration.
  5. Thank you to Wayne Hutchinson for donating a router to the club, Mike should have it up and running in no time.
Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Lidded Boxes and Natural Edge Bowl



April 18th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting
Great meeting last night, we had a guest speaker from RZ Mask talk to the members about a new dust mask on the market.  It’s safe to say that the members last night were impressed with the product.  As follow up to the presentation, below is a link to the “SPECIAL” web page with exclusive offers to all DWC members, I would encourage all members to visit the link, as the manufacturer has provided special prices.

  • If you’re interested in ordering any of the products, please go to the link and place your order directly on the web site.
  • You can order using your credit card, directly with the company.  Be sure to following the instructions.
  • All of the orders will be combined in one shipment and will be delivered to the club next Monday night (April 25th) in bulk, I’ll break down the orders and hand out everything after the meeting.

Here is the link for the members along with a few instructions:

Durham Woodworking Club Special
http://wesselstore.ca/product-category/dwc-special/

  • Masks: Choose Mask Size (Regular or XL), we will ship Black or Grey depending on availability.
  • Additional Filters: Choose filter size to match your mask
    • F3 HEPA with Active Carbon for the REGULAR Mask Size
    • F2 HEPA for the XL Mask Size
    • Due to limited inventory these are the only options available right now.
  • Straps: We have made the QL1500PINK and QL4500P available
  • Shipping: Choose "Local Pickup" during checkout to avoid shipping charges.
  • Timing: This Special is valid until Sunday April 24, 2016. Once we have all of the orders we will pack and deliver them all at once to the Club during the week of April 25. We will try for Monday the 25th but as we may have to transfer inventory from London, ON to fill the orders, delivery, may be delayed one or two days.

In order to hide the DWC special from regular website visitors, the site navigation is limited. Once you have added a product to the cart, you have to go back to the main DWC link to see the other DWC products http://wesselstore.ca/product-category/dwc-special/

Show and Tell:


April 11th, 2016

Topic: Bird Feeder Hanger
Calvin Perry does a demonstration on how to make a bird feeder/house hanger. You can view the video here.

Show and Tell:

Al Coolidge - Dog Intarisa
Chris Lapine - UFO pencil holder
Kade Bolger - Turned Pipes, Bowl one and Bowl two
Don McFarland - Beaver bird feeder
Neil Fickling - Wig Stand

April 4th, 2016

Topic: Minwax Presentation
Great meeting tonight, fantastic turn out to see Ralph Swan demonstrate the line on Minwax products.  A good assortment of questions were asked tonight, I hope everyone that attended picked up some good finishing advice.
You can view the video presentation here.

A couple of quick points,

  1. Woodworking 101 will be postponed tomorrow, Mike is unable to attend.
  2. Which is a good lead in to my next point, we are looking for volunteers to help out with the woodworking 101 course, if you can spare your time, please send me an email, we really need your support.
  3. As Allyn is leaving for London, he has approximately 300 bd. Ft of rough sawn maple for sale, an image is attached.  Allyn is looking to sell this lumber if you are interested, please email me and I’ll forward all of the details.
  4. David Lawrence will be hosting part #2 of his computer course on Saturday April 23rd from 10:00 am to 12:30 pm.
  5. Next week, Calvin Perry will be our guest speaker, he’ll be discussing wood joinery, should be a good discussion.

Have a great week

Show and Tell:

There was no Show and Tell tonight due to the length of the meeting.

March 21st, 2016

Topic: Fattening Sharpening Stones

Great meeting tonight, thanks to Dale Coolidge for his demo on how to true up sharpening stones, the clip will be available on our YouTube channel by the end of the week.  Dale has promised to come back and demonstrate how to sharpen hand chisels, we’ll keep everyone posted. Here is a link to the video presentation.

Below are a few reminders from the meeting,

  1. If you have any wood that you are storing in the large room beside the shop, please claim it and remove it by the end of the month, any wood left after the end of the month will be donated to the club or tossed, we need to keep the area clean for fire safety.
  2. In the smaller room, as you enter the shop, we’ve installed a lumber rack, this wood has been donated to the club for future projects.  There is a wood pile on the floor directly across from the lumber rack which is available to members for free, first come, first serve.  Please do not take wood from the rack or the back wall.
  3. The club will be closed for Easter this Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Easter Monday, check the calendar if you’re not sure.
  4. We discussed two “build & learn” projects last week, a hall desk and an outdoor bench, if you’re interested in participating please let me know.
  5. As follow up to my last email regarding volunteers, please confirm via email if you are able to help out.
  6. April 4th, Ralph Swan from Minwax will be at the club to talk finishing, I highly recommend you attend, Ralph is a great resource on the subject material.
  7. David Lawrence will be holding a part two of his computer course on Word & Excel for woodworking, he has a tentative date of Saturday April 23rd, he will confirm shortly, if you’re interested please respond via email.
  8. New member orientation will take place Thursday April 14th, if you are a new member this year with experience in using the large equipment, you must attend, please respond via email.
  9. Lastly, if you are interested in the golf club heads to use as a special project, please let me know, I have forty confirmed for members, first come first serve.

For those with an exterior shop, I found a great heater option at the Home Show this weekend, the web site is www.veito.ca, please feel free to check it out, I do not get paid any commission, just offering a resource.

Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger -Turned Bowl1 and Turned Bowl2
Chris Lapine - Turned Bowl1 and Turned Bowl2

March 14th, 2016

Topic: Hand Cut Dovetails
Rob Peros showed us a great video on doing Hand Cut Dovetails. You can view the video here.
On March 7th, Denis did a great presentation on Glue Types, here is the video of the session.

A good meeting last night, special thanks to John for stopping by the club to demonstrate the cutting of dovetail joints without a jig.  A number of the members were impressed with the speed at which John was able to cut through the pins!! 
We’ve also confirmed that Ralph Swan from Minwax will be at the club April 4th to demonstrate the various techniques regarding finishing, this is a good demo, I would suggest that if you have any interest in finishing a project that you need to attend this meeting.

Below are a couple of follow up points from the meeting,

  1. Woodworking 101 continues this week, Tuesday night (tonight), if you’re interested in attending the next class, please let me know, I’ll confirm the start date shortly.
  2. Tools of the trade show is scheduled for April 3rd at the Pickering Rec Center from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
  3. Brooklin carving show is this weekend at Heydonshores Pavilion, start time is 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, free admission.
  4. A gentle reminder that the shop will be closed March 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th (no meeting on the 28th), it’s Easter Monday.
  5. We have a gentleman selling two scroll saws, both are 16”, one is a Delta and I don’t know the other, if you’re interested, please email me and I’ll send you the contact information.
  6. New member orientation will be held Thursday April 14th @ 6:30 pm at the club, this is for all new members with woodworking experience, you will need to attend, if you have any questions, please email me.
  7. Oliver Holdstock brought in two sets of plans this past Monday, one for an outdoor bench and the other for a hall table, if you’re interested in a group “build & learn”, please let me know.
Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Natural Edge Bowl and Turned Lidded Vessel with Glass Insert

March 7th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting
A quick wrap up for tonight’s meeting.  We had a really good discussion led by Denis regarding the various forms of glue, everyone in the audience had a lot of great feedback.  I apologize, I neglected to thank everyone who participated in the shop clean up, we had a great turn out and we had the shop cleaned in an hour, thank you.

Just a couple of brief follow up notes,

  1. Woodworking 101 course starts tomorrow for those who signed up only, I’m currently taking names for the second class starting in a few weeks.  If you’re interested, please let me know.
  2. Tools of the trade show will be held at the Pickering Rec Center on April 3rd from 10 am to 3 pm.
  3. The Brooklin Woodcarving Show will take place on Saturday March 19th at the Heydenshore Pavilion in Whitby, from 11 am to 4 pm, free parking and free admission.
  4. The shop will be close Friday March 25th, Saturday March 26th, Sunday March 27th and Monday March 28th.
  5. Rick Sullivan will be holding a chip carving seminar, the date will be determined at the next meeting, if you’re interested, please contact Rick or email myself.
  6. Dale Coolridge will be demonstrating how to dress sharpening stones on March 21st.
  7. In my last email, Tom Loftus had mentioned a possible estate sale, the family will now be holding an auction, I’ll post the date, time and location on an upcoming email.
Show and Tell:

Chris Lapine - Turned Bowl
Kade Bolger - Turned Platters (one and two)
Andy Valliere - Wigstands

February 29th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting
Quick wrap up from this Monday’s meeting, due to the weather we had a light turn out.Shop clean-up will be this Saturday, start time is 10:00 am, everyone is welcome!

  1. We are looking for volunteers to demonstrate how to cut dovetail joints with and without a jig and how to install hinges, if you’re able, please let me know.
  2. Woodworking 101 course will start Tuesday March 7th @ 6:00 pm, for the participants please note this is a new date!  If anyone can assist Mike with the class, please let me know, Wayne Hutchinson has volunteered (thanks Wayne).
  3. Scroll saw 101 course will take place this Thursday March 10th, first class will start @ 9:30 am to 11:30 am and the second course will start @ 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm, please direct all questions to Don McFarland.
  4. Tools of the trade show is set for April 3rd at the Pickering Rec Center from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.
  5. We’re looking for volunteers to build a lumber storage rack in the spare room, if you’re interested, please let me know.
  6. Tom discussed an upcoming estate sale set for Saturday March 12th @ noon, I’ll have the directions sent out this week.  Tom has forwarded a number of images, I’ll have Wayne post them on the web site for everyone to view.
  7. Kade discussed the upcoming Brooklin carving show, it will take place Saturday March 19th from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Heydenshore Pavilion (589 Water Street, Whitby).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to call or email.  Have a great week.

P.S.  We’ve redecorated the shop this evening, visit our Facebook site to see the new look.

Show and Tell:

Andrew Smith - Cheese Knives and Bowl
Wayne Hutchinson - Battery Storage
Chris Lapine - Bubble Gum Machine and Spinning Top


February 22th, 2016

Topic: Carving - Jose Torres
Jose Torres from the Brooklin Carving Club was in the shop to do a short seminar on carving.
You can see his presentation on our YouTube channel

Show and Tell:

Sam Bodor - Turned Platter and Bowl2
Don McFarland - Bowl (candy dish) and Goat bank
Kade Bolger - Turned Poop Gavel


February 15th, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

An abbreviated meeting tonight due to technical difficulties (my apologies), I’ll have the clip from tonight ready for next Monday.  Below are a few of the reminders for the upcoming weeks.

  • - Shop clean has been scheduled for Saturday March 5th, volunteers will be required, the more the merrier. 
  • - Volunteers are required to demonstrate the following subject material, how to cut box joints, how to cut dovetails with or without a jig, how to set up a stacked dado on the table saw, how to install door hinges.  If you are able to demonstrate any of these topics, please let me know.
  • - Word/Excel for woodworking 101 course will be held on Thursday February 25th, from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.  Anyone interested, please let me know, those members who have signed up will receive a separate email with details by the end of the week.
  • - Cross cut sled “build and learn” will continue on Tuesday night, Mike Kellar will lead the group, start time is 6:00 pm.
  • - The first woodworking 101 course is now full, two additional members confirmed this evening, the course will take place Tuesday March 1st, from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
  • - Please forward any project ideas that you may have, either by email or speak with me at a club meeting.  We’re looking for ideas that club members can build and learn.
  • - Tools of the trade show will be held April 3rd, from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at the Pickering Rec Center.
  • - March 18th will be the deadline to pay Rick Sullivan for the next installment of the lottery pool.  Rick is asking for $10 donations.
  • Pens for Peacekeepers presentation will be Saturday February 20th @ 9:00 am at the club, Jim Shaver will be receiving the clubs donation.

Scroll saw Fundamentals 101

  • Don McFarland will be conducting an introductory course for members who never scrolled previously.
  • Learn how to operate the Scroll saw, blade selection, how to attach patterns, basic cutting techniques.
  • 2 hours – time permitting cut a couple of projects.
  • The date will be either Thursday mornings or nights starting in March and will be based on the feedback from club members.
  • If you are interested please email Don at donmcfarland@rogers.com and specify if you can come in the daytime or night time only.

Group Buy for Cheese Knives

  • Don McFarland would like to schedule a group purchase of cheese knives.
  • NOTE:  Cheese knives are currently out of stock and so this is to determine interest only.
  • With the current conversion rate the cost will be about $4.50 each.
  • If you are interested in any other items from http://www.chefwarekits.com/, please email Don McFarland
  • Once we know when the cheese knives will be in stock,  further details will follow but Don needs some idea of the quantity.
Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Turned Bowl1 and Bowl2
Al Fice - Scrolsaw Plaque1 and Plaque2
Don McFarland - Wooden Truck

February 8th, 2016

Topic: Router and Tips/Jigs
You can view the Router powerpoint presentation here.
You can view the video presentation here.

Great meeting last Monday, I’ve highlighted a number of the topics discussed.

  1. If anyone has a contact to source reclaimed or salvaged wood, please contact me.  I received an email from the web looking for this type of material for their start up woodworking business, it we can help that would be great.
  2. Word/Excel for woodworking 101 course will take place Thursday February 25th at the club, start time is 6:00 pm.  I’ve attached a sample from David Lawrence, this will be a course to show club members how to plan out projects with Microsoft Word & Excel.  I currently have seven members signed up.  This will be interesting course.  Any member with a laptop should bring it, if possible.
  3. Future projects, attached is a short presentation of potential projects prepared by David Lawrence, I’d like everyone’s feedback in terms of which projects you would like to “build” or “build & learn”.  If you’d like to see something added that’s not on the presentation, please send me an email.
  4. Leather bound book (image1 and image2), I’d like to know if any members would be interested in building this type of project?
  5. Volunteers are required to “show & learn” an assortment of topics, such as, box joints, dovetail joints (with or without the use of a jig), setting up a stacked dado on the table saw and how to install hinges on a project.  If any member has the particular skill set for any of the listed topics and would interested in presenting during one of our meetings, please let me know.
  6. The cross cut sled “build & learn” will continue on February 16th, Mike & Tom will be working on the completing the project, anyone interested is welcome to attend, start time is 6:00 pm.
The Woodworking 101 course is now set, any new member with a beginners skill set into woodworking will be required to attend the course.  The course will be hands on, taught by one of the club members over the course of four weeks, new members will be shown the correct methods of working safely with the large power tools.  Each course will be limited to four new members, the first class will take place Tuesday March 1st, starting @ 6:00 pm.  The first four members to contact me will be enrolled, if no one comes forward, I’ll be selecting names & volunteers

Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Willow Bowl1 and Willow Bowl2
Neil Fickling- Turned Pill Box and Wigstand

February 1st, 2016

Topic: General Meeting

Just a few notes from the past Monday’s meeting (thank you to everyone who brought projects for the show & tell, a number of great projects brought forward by our members).

  1. We will be holding a meeting on Monday February 15th (family day), however, the shop will be closed during the day.
  2. Next Monday will be “tips & jigs”, please bring in any jigs that you may use in your home workshop, as well as, woodworking tips.
  3. Wayne Pye has a “friend” with access to wood, if you’re interested, please contact Wayne directly, his email contact is wpye@live.ca
  4. We’re looking for project ideas for the “Fabulous Females”, the planter ideas was rejected, any thoughts, please let me know.
  5. I’d appreciate everyone’s feedback regarding topics for February and March, one member’s suggestion included dove tail joinery, as well as box joint joinery.  Please let me know if you have experience in these areas, I’m looking for speakers on the subject.
  6. I’ll be talking about the router on Monday, feel free to bring questions.

Both groups have toured the College Woodworks facility, it was a great tour, I’ll bring highlights and photos from the tour on Monday.  

Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Canes
Wayne Pye - Turned Bowl
Sam Bodor - Turned Bowl
Oliver Holdstock - Breadboard1 and Breadboard2
Gordon Dowsley - Wigstand1, Wigstand2 and Wigstand3
Doug Smith - Bowl1, Bowl2 and Scrolled Plaque
Andy Valliere - Wigstand and Bowl
Al Fice - Scrollsaw Fish and Scrollsaw Cowboys Plaques


January 25th, 2016

Topic: Drill Press and Wood Burls

Rob Peros talked about the use and safety of the Drill press.
You can view the Drill Press powerpoint presentation here.
Denis Lalonde talked about Wood Burls.
You can view the video presentation(s) here.

Below are a few follow up notes from Monday night meeting.

  1. College Woodworking tour has been confirmed, I’ll be sending out a confirmation email with all of the details, February 2nd is booked.  Anyone still interested in attending, space is available on Wednesday February 3rd and Thursday February 4th, tour starts at 10:00 am.
  2. I have four members signed up for David Lawrence’s computer design seminar, there is space for an additional two or three members, I’ll review at next Monday’s meeting, then we’ll confirm a date (more than likely, it will be in the evening or a Saturday).
  3. There are three members confirmed for the cross cut sled build and learn, if you’re interested in building a cross cut sled for your shop, let me know, the tentative date is Tuesday February 16th.
  4. I’ve attached the PDF file of the drill press presentation, for those that may have missed it on Monday night.

Please be sure to look at the calendar on the web site before you go to the club during the evening, as we have a few nights booked for the Kub Kars and you won’t be able to use the equipment.  We’re just in the process of completing the Woodworking 101 course, I hope to be able to share more information at the next meeting.  As well, any topics that you’d like to see covered during the Monday meeting’s, please send an email, February is still open.

Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger -Bowl and Turned Lidded Music Box
Roy Coe - Turned Lidded Box

January 18th, 2016

Topic: FESTOOL will be in the shop to talk about thier tools.
Bill from FESTOOL was in the shop with some of their tools to do demonstations and discuss the opertaion of their tools.
You can view the video presentation here.

Great meeting last night, we were fortunate to have Bill Scheel from Festool present their product assortment to the club.  While the Festool line is on the premium side of the price scale, the extra components they offer make it a tough decision when you’re looking for a new tool.  Personally, I really thought the dust extraction system was really nice, it took care of the small dust particles that could potentially harm our lungs.  For those that may be interested in purchasing Festool products, they are available at Markham Industrial and Lee Valley.

A few points from the meeting:

  1. College Woodworking tour - we have set up a tour of a live woodworking production facility in Oshawa.  On February 2nd, 3rd & 4th groups of ten will be provide a tour of the College Woodworking facility, it should take about an hour or so, starting at 10:00 am.  Space will be limited to 30 club members, first come, first serve.  If you’d like to attend, please respond by email or let me know at the next club meeting, the deadline for signing up will be January 29th.
  2. Rob will be going out to Stockroom Supply on Tuesday January 26th, if any members would like to order material from Stockroom, I can pick up for you (save on freight expense), provided that you’ve paid first and bring your purchase back on Monday February 1st.  Let  Rob know via email.
  3. Cabinet build & learn - this will be the last night, Wayne will be building the cabinets Tuesday, this will be a good night to see how he keeps everything square and level. 
  4. Cross cut sled build & learn - for those that are interested, I have plans to make a cross cut sled, I’ll be building one for the club, if you’re interested, we can build one together at the club for your home workshop, please let me know if you’re interested and we’ll book a date.
  5. David Lawrence has offered his services to teach members how to use your computer to design your projects, with the use of computer software (word & excel) and general math skills, this is a great opportunity to learn key design basics, when we have enough people, we’ll book a date, please respond via email.
  6. If anyone is interested in building cabinet doors for a potential customer, please let me know.
  7. Calvin Perry will be taking photos of members for our internal web site, he will be starting next week, please come to the front of the club and Calvin will walk you through the process.
  8. Sam Baldor has found a gentlemen that produces turning tools, specifically carbide tipped tools at a very reasonable price, if you’re interested in the information, please email me and I’ll forward the information.

Lastly, we reviewed the members programs, three key support tools for all our members.  Moving forward, everyone will have access to the mentorship program, woodworking 101 and turning 101, I’ve attached the presentation from last night.  If you’re a club member with a specific project and would like advice on a specific portion of your project build, please reach out to Chris Lapine.  Chis will either provide you with the information directly or put you in contact with another club member who may have the exact experience in a similar scenario to help you out.

If you are a new club member, you will be required to take the woodworking 101 course before you start to use any of the large pieces of shop equipment.  The woodworking 101 course will help new club members in learning all of the safety aspects of the equipment, while taking a hands on course with one of the club members at the same time, building a live project.  I hope to have the course outline completed shortly and we should be up and running by the first or second week of February.

Turing 101 will continue to be offered with Denis Lalonde heading this group, the next secession will begin January 30th, please contact Denis directly for sign up.  As well, Denis will continue to be available at the club Wednesday nights from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm if anyone has any turning questions.

Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Natural Edge Bowl1 and Bowl2
Jim Robinson - Corian Pens
Wayne Pye - Turned Bowl1 and Bowl2
Denis Lalonde - Turned Pen and Wigstand
Otto Ference - Minature Turned BirdHouses

January 11th, 2016

Topic: CLOCA - Central Lake Ontario Conservation
Patricia Lowe from the Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority (CLOCA) was our key guest speaker.  Pat discussed the overall purpose of CLOCA and their relationship to Durham Region, she presented several programs to the group, CLOCA are looking for the clubs assistance in producing a variety of components to help get their projects off the ground for 2016. 
You can view the presentation here.

The projects include;

  1. Nesting boxes, to assist the native turtle population in their safe repopulation.
  2. “Stream of dreams”, an educational program geared to young students at two Durham Region schools.  The club would cut out thirteen assorted silhouettes of local fish currently in our streams, students would then paint each fish after a tutorial from CLOCA then mount the fish outdoors around the school, typically on their fenced areas.  Timing for this project would be Spring 2016 and Fall 2016.
  3. Barn swallow nets and/or silo roof restoration along Highway 407, CLOCA would like support to add a roof structure to older barn silo’s along the new 407 route to allow Barn Swallows to nest or CLOCA would like to have the club produce turned bowls which would also act as a nest for the Barn Swallows.
  4. Enniskillen Education Center, adding storage and building mural placement (picture rails) for their education center, as well as, producing a Maple Leaf cut out for their Purple Woods Maple Syrup Festival.

The club executive will advise members on next steps, Don McFarland will work with CLOCA to finalize the details (stay tuned).

The second night for the cabinet “build and learn” will take place on Tuesday, we’ll be laying out & preparing the 4’x8’ sheets for cutting, as well as, getting the major components ready to build.  Anyone is welcome to come out tonight.  The one component that Wayne suggested to the group to have when building any cabinet, is a good cross cut sled.  I’ve sourced out a great set of plans to build a multi-purpose cross cut sled, so we’ll schedule a build & learn in early February so that everyone can build their own cross cut sled.

I’ve confirmed that Festool will be our guest speaker next week (January 18th), so, if you want to learn all about the Festool product line, be sure to attend.

For all those members working in the shop, if you find a piece of equipment is not working or unsafe, please utilize the Service Tag program”.  The Service Tags are located in a red folder under the ledge below the name tags.

Show and Tell:

Kade Bolger - Cane, Turned Pear, Turned Bowl
Ed Campbell - Two turned Pens
Al Fice - Family Tree Plaque
Mike Kellar - Hand Plane

January 4th, 2016

Topic: Shop Dust Collection
Rob Peros did a great presentation on shop dust collection.
You can see the video presentation here and/or the Powerpoint slides here.

Show and Tell:

Rob Peros - Box Elder Lidded Bowl and Turned Pen
Neil Fickling - Wigstand1, Wigstand2 and Handheld Fabric Iron
Ed Campbell - Wine Bottle Stand and Penguin Puzzle
Mike Kellar - Handmade Plane
Kade Bolger - Turned Cigarette Holder

 

FOR PREVIOUS WEEKLY MEETING NOTES, PLEASE CLICK HERE.