Great meeting last night, thanks to Mike Kellar for chairing a great discussion on the making of homemade paste wax. We’ll be posting on the club YouTube channel a short video clip that Mike brought along, showing a safe method to melt the bees wax. For those not in attendance last night, the most common methods to melt bees wax are by double boiling (boiling a pot of water, then adding a second pot which will melt the bees wax) or by using a slow cooking crock pot.
Wayne Pye also suggested using a glass mason jar and placing it in a pot of boiling water to melt the bees wax. The most important safety tip when making your own homemade past wax, do not leave the stove top unattended when melting the bees wax, if left unattended it could potentially start a fire.
Additionally, throughout the discussion, the group had a number of great tips, it’s best to use light weight mineral oil, which can be purchased at any local drug store. Chad Shaw mentioned that he last purchased a gallon of light weight mineral oil from Rona, I believe the brand purchased was “DVL”. It was also mentioned that we had a presentation last year from a gentleman who sells bees wax and we’re going to ask him to come back and visit the club and to sell his bees wax products. All in all, it was a great discussion, a lot of great information.
The Simcoe Street United Church will be holding their annual Christmas market on Saturday December 1st from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, it is a free admission and there will be a number of great activities, as well as, holiday gift items for sale.
- Wednesday night, open turning night hosted by Denis and Chris. If you have any turning questions or need a helping hand, please feel free to stop in to the club, anytime from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Bernie Visser let the membership know of the upcoming Brooklin Carving Club annual show, this year the club will be hosting the event at the Brooklin Community Center on March 9th, 2019, more details to follow.
- If anyone is interested in learning how to re-finish furniture, Kade Bolger will be hosting a “how to” seminar in the near future, we’ll post the information shortly.
- Chris Lapine advised the membership about a group buy of cheese knife blades, if you’re interested, please contact Chris directly.
- Don McFarland passed along a note from Hearth Place inviting anyone who has participated in the wig stand build of a luncheon on December 11th, if you’re interested in attending, please contact Don.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to call, text or email.
Have a great week.