This content has restricted access, please type the password below and get access.
It is with great sadness that we pass along the news of our friend and fellow club member Mack Cameron has passed away. Mack was a long time member of DWC and a major contriubtor to the club. He will be missed.
Great meeting tonight, both the new club constitution and by-laws were voted upon and both passed unanimously. We now officially have a club constitution and set of by-laws to run the day to day business of the club. Overall, we had a great discussion before voting, it was decided that a subcommittee would be set up in the next week or so, in order to prepare for any possible updates to the constitution and by-laws at the first annual general meeting. For those that would be interested in providing feedback, please reach out to Paul Kidson, he will be the chairperson for this subcommittee, please volunteer, your voice matters.
- Wednesday night will be the monthly turning forum, all welcome, hosted by Denis and Chris.
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to call, text or email.
Fantastic meeting last night, full house to see Wayne Peden discuss cabinetry, everything involved in the build to adding hardware and final finish options. Lots of great questions from the membership, both during the discussion and after the meeting. Wayne has volunteered (well, sort of, more like I volunteered him) to hold a seminar in the shop to show members the actual build process. We’re just firming up the date and will advise everyone as soon as it’s confirmed. We’re hoping that we can lock down a Saturday, so that everyone can make the seminar. Thank you to Wayne for the presentation and the additional seminar. We hope to have the discussion posted on YouTube shortly.
In memory of Mack Cameron, the club will be accepting donations that we will be using in the future to honour Mack. If you are interested, please speak with Paul Kidson and he will take care of the funds. Additionally, Mike Kellar had a great suggestion, when we set up the new library in the workshop, it will be named after Mack in his honour, Mack was the clubs first librarian.
- This Wednesday will be the open turning night, hosted by Denis and Chris from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm, if you would like to turn or have any questions, please feel free to drop in.
- Reminder, last week I sent out the registration from the Oshawa Seniors Funspeil curing event, if you’re interested in submitting a team, complete the registration form and collect the entry fee.
- Early bird draw, if you pay your 2019 membership due before the end of November, you will be entered into a draw to win your membership fee, the draw will be held the first week of December.
- Calvin will be sending out notices to all of the members that offered to help out with the community projects, tentative meeting date will be Thursday November 1st.
- This Sunday the Toronto Woodworking Guild will be hosting Michael Hosaluk turning demonstration at Humber College, start time is 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, cost is $50 per person.
- If you have any plywood scraps, we can use them at the club, Wayne Pye will be building new racks on the wall using a cleat system and the scraps will come in handy.
- I had originally planned to discussed the constitution and by-laws next week, unfortunately, I need to push this out a week, so, we’ll be voting on the new constitution and by-laws on November 5th. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, please send them to me in writing prior to the meeting.
- Just a heads up, we are looking a group buy of cheese slicers for cheese boards, as well as, a potential group project build, we’ll notify everyone when the dates are set and the cost.
Great meeting tonight, thank you to Chris Lapine for a terrific presentation on the use of epoxy resins on woodworking projects. You will find a copy of Chris’s presentation here. As a follow up to the resin presentation, I may try my luck at wood stabilizing using a vacuum system, stay tuned.
We had a great discussion regarding the clubs new constitution and by-laws, please review a copy of both the constitution and by-laws. We’re going to hold an open vote on Monday October 29th, if anyone has any questions or recommendations regarding the constitution or by-laws, please send me a written email with your feedback prior to the meeting, it will be collected and brought forward on the 29th for review and discussion.
As well, attached is the latest membership list, I’m working on adding images of all the members to the list for future use.
Next week, Wayne Peden will be discussing how to build cabinets, basis joinery, basic build concepts and finishing tips. I highly recommend that if you have any interest in building a cabinet in the future, you attend next week’s meeting.
Attached is a registration to the 8th annual fundraising funspiel sponsored by the Oshawa Senior Citizens Center, if you’re interested in participating, please feel free to sign up. The registration fee is $50 per person, four members per team, Mike Kellar and I will be participating, we’ll need two more members to complete our team, should be fun. The event runs on Saturday November 17th at the Oshawa Curling Club.
The Grey Bruce Woodturning Guild will be holding their TurnFest event on Saturday October 20th and Sunday October 21st at 1225 Wellington Street, Port Elgin, Ontario. Please feel free to check their website https://www.gbwg.ca/turnFestHome.php for more details. I’ve also attached a quick snapshot of the event.
Also, the WGO and the TWG will be hosting a turning demonstration featuring Michael Hosaluk on Sunday October 28th at Humber college, entry fee is $50 per person. If you’re interested in attending, please let me know, I’ll add your name to the list.